2020 POSTER CONTEST
New York Association for Pupil Transportation
Can't Touch This - The Danger Zone
The New York Association for Pupil Transportation conducts the New York School Bus Safety Poster Contest in accordance with guidelines and rules set out by the National School Bus Safety Week Committee. Deadlines for submittal of poster entries are established to ensure our ability to judge and select posters for entry into the national competition.
The poster contest is not intended to be a competition as much as it is a learning opportunity for our student riders about school bus safety. What a great opportunity to share your knowledge with our future leaders and to help keep them safe!
WHO MAY ENTER ?
Any student enrolled at the elementary or middle grade levels (plus High School for Divisions IV and V only) in a public, non-public, charter, or other private school in New York State may submit an entry, provided that the student is from a school in which there is a current member in good standing of the New York Association for Pupil Transportation or is from a school served by a private contractor that is a member in good standing in NYAPT. Questions about member status can be addressed by the NYAPT office: 518-463-4937.
Posters may be submitted under five categories. Note that First, Second, and Third place winning posters will be selected from each division, as follows
Division #1 Grades K-2
Division #2 Grades 3-5
Division #3 Grades 6-8
Division #4 Special Education
Division #5 CAD (Computer Aided Drawing) (NOTE: May include high school entries)
Only those entries that win First Place in each division at the state level will be forwarded to the National Committee by the national deadline. All such winning entries become the property of the NAPT and the National School Bus Safety Week Committee, and are not returned.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION
All posters must first be submitted to and judged by the local NYAPT chapters in the area in which the posters were originally drawn. Do Not Send Posters directly to the state or the national association. Each Chapter is eligible to submit ONE poster entry for each Division. Consult local chapters for deadlines for local contests.
Posters judged and selected by each chapter for entry into the State Contest must be received by the NYAPT office before June 5, 2020 and should be sent to:
1764 Route 9 / P.O. Box 356
Clifton Park, NY 12065
NO POSTER ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED AFTER THE DEADLINE DATE OF June 5, 2020
NYAPT CHAPTER PARTICIPATION
We encourage NYAPT Chapters to plan their local contests accordingly so that posters are judged no later than their May chapter meetings which will allow for timely submittal for the state contest.
1) Completed poster size must be 11” x 17” or 12" x 18".
2) There must be a card/entry blank (see attached for official form) securely fastened to the back of the poster which includes In New York, we are also Please print or type this information clearly and legibly.
3) Posters may be illustrated on the vertical or horizontal axis.
4) Do NOT roll or fold the posters. They must be mailed/delivered flat and in some form of protective packaging.
5) Designs should be submitted on quality tag, poster illustration board or heavy paper. Construction paper may be used but winning entries must be mounted on quality tag poster.
6) Lamination is not permitted, and will disqualify the poster.
7) Cut paper/stencils (freehand or pre-drawn stick on stencils) are not permitted and will disqualify the poster.
8) There is no limitation on the use and number of colors.
9) There is no limitation on the type of media- such as paint, crayon, felt pen, etc. used on the poster design. However, wood, plastic, glass or metal should not be part of the poster. Collage materials should not be used. Glued on pieces will eliminate the poster. Poster designs may not incorporate any copyrighted characters (i.e.: comic and/or television characters), photographs, magazines or newspaper illustrations.
10) Illustrations must be original, correct in safety concepts and the exclusive work of the student entering the contest in idea, design and execution. Illustrations should be positive in approach, demonstrating only proper school bus safety behaviors. At least a part of a yellow school bus must be present in the poster.
NOTE: Do not use the school district or company name on the front of the poster. Use of a specific school district or company name displayed on the front of the poster will disqualify the poster.
EVERY POSTER MUST HAVE THE 2020 THEME:
Can't Touch This - The Danger Zone
(Contestants must illustrate above theme only, and the theme must be exactly as shown)
Freehand drawn letters only may be used on the poster design. Stenciled, pre-printed, manufactured stick-on or press-on letters or tracings may not be used and will disqualify the poster. Lettering should be clearly legible, even if used as part of the poster design.
Posters will be judged at the state level during the annual NYAPT conference. The winning posters may be used by NYAPT for educational purposes and contest promotion. Criteria for selection of award-winning posters are:
Relationship of the poster design to school bus safety practices
Originality of the poster and how the idea is expressed in the poster design
Artwork and its execution
Visual impact of the poster design
All rules regarding poster specifications, themes, lettering, etc. must be followed. The penalty for non-compliance will be disqualification of the poster.
All entries become the property of NYAPT and will not be returned. Entries to the national competition become the property of the National Association for Pupil Transportation in accordance with the rules of the competition
New York State awards are as follows:
1st Place Winners in each division: $100 check and certificate
2nd Place Winners in each division: $75 check and certificate
3rd Place Winners in each division: $50 check and certificate
National Prize Award Levels: Information is available at www.napt.org
For questions please contact:
Carol Sicignano email@example.com